Monday, November 7, 2011

Extra Credit Corn/ Soybean


I wanted to begin my analysis by addressing the 10 items that have corn or soybean as an ingredient.  I know we were told to only go down the middle aisle and look for 10 items, but I wanted to make it a little more interesting and look for items that I like to eat and or have eaten most commonly in the past. Before going to the store I had to educate myself on what ingredients consisted of corn as well.   I found that baking powder, corn oil, corn syrup, fructose, gluten and high fructose corn syrup all contained some kind of corn. What I found was most disturbing.   Everything that I had chosen consisted of corn or soybeans; literally everything! Here was my list. 

Foods Containing Corn:
1.       Oreos
2.       Capri Suns
3.       Sprite and Pepsi
4.       Powerade
5.       Sara Lee’s whole grain bread
6.       Kellogg’s Raisin Bran Cereal/ Special K
7.       Pop Tarts
8.       Heinz Ketchup
9.       Pop Tarts
10.   Wheat Thins

Foods Containing Soybean:
1.       Soy Sauce (any Asian food pretty much!!)
2.       Mayonnaise                                                    
3.       Whey protein                                                 
4.       Many Chocolate Bars                                   
5.       Chunky Soups                                                
It’s appalling to even think about foods such as wheat thins and different beverages we consume all contain corn based products.  It even goes as far as poultry items and different kinds of meats that are made up of these ingredients.  Items that aren’t supposed to be made of multiple ingredients are taken away from their own pureness and has been modified so greatly it has turned into a combination of crap thrown together to become that one product.  It makes me not even want to buy or consume these products.  But at the same time how can we all stop ourselves from living the life we have always known. 









No comments:

Post a Comment